Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Shark bait ooh ha ha"

It’s official… less than 2 weeks before I leave for the Azores. I’ve been preparing myself for the beach by spending 5 days in Hilton Head with David and his family. We went shark fishing! We caught these little “schooling” fish that our Captain called Pogies and used them for bait for the smaller sharks. We caught about a dozen Sharp Nose sharks that we used as bait for LARGER sharks! Eeekk. I volunteered to cut off the heads of the smaller sharks for bait which was really exciting. The Captain said that I was the first person he has had on the ship who has wanted to cut up the sharks and by far the first girl. Guess I’m just special. We caught several Black Tip sharks which ranged from 50-70lbs and then one 270lb Tiger shark! It was HUGE and kind of scary but beautiful nonetheless.
Now that I’ve gone shark fishing I feel like I should try my hand at deep sea fishing for… well fish. I’ll have to save that experience for the Azores. I CAN’T WAIT! I’ve been keeping tabs on the interns on the Azores right now and all their pictures look amazing… 2 more weeks!
Come on June 20... get here faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment